From Gale H, Packer fan in the Twin Cities:
Don’t know about you guys, but I’ve been enjoying football fan nirvana today, for sure. I’m soaking this one in like I never did in ’96. So many articles, videos and podcasts, so little time!
The next best thing to being in Green Bay has got to be living in the heart of enemy territory - getting to listen to all of the utterly defeated sour-puss Viking fans. Today is for celebrating the win! But, if you want some serious real entertainment, at some point you need to check out Paul Allen’s, Dan “the common man” Cole’s and Dan Barreiro‘s radio shows today. Along with the joy of the Packers Championship victory, I have some serious shadenfreude going on with the Vikings and their fans. It’s just too good to not savor. Not with all the history, recent and past. Minnesota is in misery for sure.
Superbowl 31 was great in that we were finally back after 30 years. But for me, this year has been probably the most gratifying for how so many ghosts of the past were erased. The victories of this last year and now the Lombardi Trophy returning have absolutely erased some of the toughest losses and incidents over the last 40 years.
- The Vikings were big back in the 70′s when Pat and I were kids. I always remember the 5 or 6 kids who rooted for the Vikings that I just could not stand. They were so arrogant and nasty with their comments about the Pack and we fans that stuck with the Pack. It’s all gone! The comment today from Dan Barreiro was, “They’ve [Packer fans] got everything. We’ve got nothing!” Witnessing the Vikings and Favre’s scheme fall twice to the Pack – to see total Viking embarrassment and literal destruction was just a part of the perfect season for me.
- 4th and 26… Gone! Pack defeated Philly twice and they move on in the playoffs.
- 80′s Chicago and “The Fridge”… Gone! Defeated da Bears twice, once in the NFC Championship, with Raji on the fake up the middle, allowing Rodgers to run to the side. “The Freezer” then makes makes the Pick 6.
- Losing to the Falcons in the playoffs, AT Lambeau years ago… Gone! We defeated them soundly on their own turf.
- 90′s Cowboys… Gone! Waxed the Cowboys in embarrassing fashion. Coach gets fired. The Green Bay Packers go on to hoist the Lombardi Trophy inside Jerry Jones’ “Death Star” – the functional equivalent of stealing the date he brought to his own dance.
- Losing to the Giants in the 2007 Conference Championship game with Favre throwing a terrible interception…. Gone! Flash ahead, Favre throws the same Championship-losing interception with the Vikings barely a year ago and the Pack beats the NFC rival Giants to the playoffs this year.
GO PACK!!! The Lombardi Trophy is home!